Hey there it’s me Dawn again. Glad to have you here today! Well I always pick something electronic cigarette related to to chat about. That’s what this blog is all about. E-cigs, and the effort to educate as many people as we can about them. Every now and then though I kind of veer off course a bit. Today is one of those days. Today I will be talking about ways to quit smoking. Electronic cigarettes are not a smoking cessation device. They are simply updated nicotine delivery systems. They are an alternative to the nicotine delivery method of burning tobacco. An alternative without the 600 ingredients 4,000 chemicals and tar found in burning tobacco, but only an alternative. So today’s blog is not about e-cigarettes. It is about ways you can quit smoking.
Everyone can agree quitting is what the goal is. If any of these ways work for you rock on!! We want you burning tobacco free, regardless of the method you choose!
- Cold Turkey:
Arguably the best choice for quitting smoking if possible. Just put the cigarettes down and walk away.
Side effects: This is a safe way to quit smoking. The main complaint that people have is nicotine withdrawal. Our body craves the Dopamine release that the cigarette triggers. When our body does not receive that, it begins going through withdrawals. According to WebMD nicotine withdrawal symptoms can include:
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Fatigue, drowsiness, and insomnia
- Difficulty concentrating
- Depressed mood
- Increased hunger and caloric intake
- Increased desire for the taste of sweets
- Tobacco cravings
Eventually the withdrawals lighten up and you begin to feel better! You breathe better and have a huge quality of life boost. Overall this is a really good method to quit. If this works for you, go with it.
2. The Patch:
Available in many brands this product has shown promise for some people. Considered fairly safe and approved by the FDA . Only a few notable side effects according to drugs.com:
Nicotine patches can cause the following side effects:
- skin irritation,
- rapid heartbeat, and
First 2 Customer reviews I found on www.drugs.com:
“These patches are a joke don’t even know if they work they won’t stay on I shaved the spots I put them on washed area and even used alcohol wipes to clean area dried area applied as soon as I get to working they fall right off” August 13, 2015
“On day 6 now and didn’t smoke but was a can a day dipper for over 20 years. Don’t worry hat people are t a loving about it falls off, I’m in construction in the heat in Florida all day and it sticks. I know it helps, weird dream thing going on yes, get a taste of nicotine all day, and the initial itch, yep got that too. But what I haven’t had is a dip of copenhagen.. thanks nicoderm.” July 14, 2015
I myself had major issues with realistic feeling bad dreams. Night terrors really. I ended up taking the patch off at night to sleep, but then in the mornings I would have major nicotine withdrawals. They only really lasted until I had my patch back on, but it was a rough way to start everyday. Over all though it is a safe way to quit. It has worked for many people, and if it works for you go for it!
3. Pharmaceutical quit aids:
Products such as Chantix, Wellbutrin and Zyban. Available by prescription only. These products work by stimulating the nicotine receptors in the brain, which intern stimulates your brain to create Dopamine. Although FDA approved these products have a very long list of side effects. Unfortunately, the list is too long and complicated to just bullet point on, so I will go over what I can find on the internet.
A. Quote from www.forces.org:
“United States: 5 million prescriptions, 549 reports of adverse effects, including 19 deaths (from November 1997 to May 1999 – Note: Us data are incomplete because of the lack of a collective socialized state medical care. Moreover, no further information has been available since 1999).”
B. Screen shots of FDA.GOV documenting some reported side effects such as suicidal thoughts:
C. Short list from DrugRx The internet drug index:
Stop using this medication and call your doctor at once if you have any mood or behavior changes, confusion, anxiety, panic attacks, hallucinations, extreme fear, or if you feel impulsive, agitated, aggressive, restless, hostile, depressed, hyperactive (mentally or physically), or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself.
Your family or other caregivers should also be alert to changes in your mood or behavior.
Call your doctor at once if you have any of these other serious side effects:
- chest pain or pressure, tight feeling in your neck or jaw, pain spreading to your arm or shoulder, vomiting, sweating, general ill feeling;
- feeling light-headed or short of breath;
- sudden numbness or weakness, especially on one side of the body;
- sudden severe headache, confusion, problems with vision, speech, or balance;
- easy bruising, unusual bleeding, blood in your urine or stools, coughing up blood or vomit that looks like coffee grounds;
- fever, sore throat, and headache with a severe blistering, peeling, and red skin rash; or
- the first sign of any blistering type of skin rash, no matter how mild.
Less serious side effects may include:
- nausea (may persist for several months);
- stomach pain, indigestion, constipation, gas;
- weakness, tired feeling;
- dry mouth, unpleasant taste in your mouth;
- headache; or
- sleep problems (insomnia) or unusual dreams.
This is not a complete list of side effects and others may occur. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
D. Reviews from Reddit.com:
- “Chantix was the most miserable drug I have ever taken…severe gi distress, depression, paranoia, crazy and vivid dreams, etc. BUT, it got me off cigarettes after everything else I tried had failed. It was clearly explained by my doc that there WILL be major side effects. As I knew that it really f****** with you I prepped by temporarily getting rid of the guns and having my brother check up on me daily. While I was never ‘out of control’ I definitely wouldn’t have felt comfortable having a pistol close by. What keeps me from going back to smoking is knowing that one day I’ll want to quit again, and I NEVER want to experience Chantix again!!!”
- “I went through a course of Chantix & had the MOST terrifying nightmares, night-sweats, paranoia, awful drug”
- “I managed to quit using Zyban aka Wellbutrin. I don’t recommend drinking alcohol on that stuff, though. My roommate once came home from work to find be butt naked, standing on a ladder, trying to put the bathroom mirror onto the roof of the house.”
- “My husband took Chantix for 6 weeks and quit 2 weeks ago. He has been be plagued by constant fatigue, joint pain, anger, aggression, depression and anxiety. He is not the same person he was two months ago. I fear he will never be his normal self again. I cry myself to sleep every night since this horrific drug effed with his brain.”
There are a ton of reviews on these products and warning labels all over them. The FDA has deemed them less harmful than burning tobacco. Definitely check with a Doctor before starting this method of quitting smoking!
These are not all the quit smoking methods out there, this is only a few ways to quit smoking. If after you have tried all the quit smoking techniques that you can tolerate to quit burning tobacco, you are still smoking. Then take a moment to consider switching nicotine delivery systems. Update from the outdated burning tobacco method to A Clean Cigarette brand electronic cigarettes. The #1 quality cig-a-like product. For more information go to our website at acleancigarette.com.
Thank you so much for visiting today! I hope this was a helpful post. If you have any quetions drop me a line at AccAnswers@gmail.com and I will get back to you ASAP!! Thank you again!